Treacle tart is an all-time favorite dessert. Making treacle tart at home is quite easy. Do not worry if your treacle tart is not perfect on the first try. Most probably, it will only take one other try to make it perfect.
- For the pastry
- 225 g / 8 oz. plain flour, plus some extra for dusting
- 1 medium egg preferably free-range, lightly beaten
- 110 g / 4 oz. chilled butter, diced
- For the filling
- 85 g / 3 oz. breadcrumbs
- 450 g / 1 lb. golden syrup
- 1 lemon, zest, finely grated and 2 tablespoons of the juice
- 1 large pinch ground ginger
In addition to these ingredients, you will need clotted cream or double cream to serve.
- Put the flour into a bowl and mix the butter with the flour with your fingers until it is similar to fine breadcrumbs.
- Add an egg and knead the mixture to form a smooth dough. Put some flour dusting on the surface to help you knead.
- Line a 9 inch loose bottomed tart tin with the dough. Prick the base with a fork and put it in a refrigerator for around 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F, or 190 C, or use Gas 5.
- Line the pastry with parchment paper.
- Weigh down with ceramic baking beans or rice.
- Bake the pastry blind for around 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the paper and beans or rice and put it in the oven for few minutes until it is light brown.
- To prepare the filling, mix all filling ingredients and transfer into the pastry case.
- Put it in the oven again for around 30 more minutes.
Serve hot or cold with double or clotted cream.
Nutritional Information (Approx.)
Treacle Tart has a high caloric value. It is recommended to use it, and other desserts for that matter, in small quantities. A 100 gram serving of Treacle Tart has 369 calories, 71 grams of carbohydrates, 4 grams of protein, and 8 grams of fat.